Sunday, October 28th, 2007
I haven’t really added anything to the Web Devout site in a while. In fact, I’ve even fallen behind on the security summary updates for all three browsers. A lot of it is due to my very busy work week, trying to fulfill the “guy who solves all our problems” role for several different projects. But I have been committing my weekends to Web Devout.
So why haven’t there been any changes on the site? Well, changes are happening, but they’re happening somewhere else. A couple of weeks ago, I was given a powerful new server, all to myself, with tons of bandwidth to spare. Because this is the first time I actually have full administrative control over the server, and I can actually use recent versions of PHP and whatnot, I’ve decided it’s time to give several sections of the site some much-needed backend love (nmiaow). And while I was at it, I went ahead and started rewriting the entire site from scratch, based around a new modular homegrown infrastructure that will make future development a lot cleaner. I’m designing it with the idea that I’ll eventually open source it for other people to use. This rewrite will also give me a chance to implement an OpenID-based user account system seamlessly with all services on this site, and I hope to develop an early working version of my long-planned public bug tracking system by the time the new site goes public.
For those of you just tuning in, I want to make a single public bug reporting and tracking system for all versions of all web browsers, with focus on simplicity and ease of use (as opposed to, well, Bugzilla). Well-confirmed bugs will be automatically put into a table structure similar to the current web browser standards support resource. I hope it to be entirely user-driven, with little to no editorial oversight needed. We’ll see how well that goes. ;)
I’m still a long way off before I have something to show you, but hopefully it will be worth it.